Thursday, December 4, 2008

Where's the Balance?

Lately, I've been pondering the balance between living by faith and being a responsible Christian steward. There is such a fine line (I think) between the two. The Bible speaks very clearly about both aspects of our life. Faith is essential to our Christian lives, but being practical and responsible are spoken of very matter-of-factly as well. I guess I'm the kind who usually does everything I can to make sure I am being that responsible person and then when it gets to a point where things are out of my control, I release them over to the Lord. I wonder how good that really is. There a few things in my life right now that weigh heavily on this question. Deciding to go either way would change the outcomes of these decisions drastically. I do know that one solution is prayer, of which I do not do enough of. I would welcome any comments and prayer for this. For some reason, I have always gone round and round on this same subject and it's wearing me out! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"and Noah did everything exactly as the Lord commanded him" Genesis 6:22

I think the fine line is there, because we are supposed to rely on the Lord. We are supposed to be in constant communication with Him on where we need to be. Sometimes the Lord commands us to be steady, logical. I think Mark Canada is the perfect example of this. At Horizon Indianapolis, he is called to be steady. And the Lord has called him there. The Lord uses him to support missionaries, and to be a role model for the college kids in the area.
And sometimes the Lord calls us to be illogical. To be out on a ledge, doing crazy things. I think George Muller is a good example of this.

And sometimes God calls us to one position for a while, and then to the other position.

The important thing is to do "everything the Lord commands"

Kourtney Zahn said...

Unfortunately with these issues, they aren't something as simple as a commandment of God. I think not obeying a commandment would imply being disobedient, and therefore sinning. But the things I am specifically struggling with are mere decisions. Either way would not be a sin or disobedience. That's what hard for me. I can see either decision lining up with something scripture speaks of. I think maybe my answer is to just wait on the Lord and His leading for me. Obviously if I'm having such a hard time making decisions, I don't have clear direction at the moment. This should cause me to pray (like I said before) and seek the Lord all the more on which way he would see fit for me to go.